Re: Degrees

Subject: Re: Degrees
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:15:52 -0500

----------
> From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
>
> Many people plod through a college cirriculum because they have
> no imagination and simply do what their parents expect them to
> do. Many college cirricula aren't very demanding in any event.

You're generalizing, of course. I "turned down" two opportunities for a
free college education, one from my father and one from a large defense
contractor who apparently recognized that I had some raw talent. At the
time I made these foolish decisions, I was young, immature, and too
inexperienced to realize the importance of a college degree. It wasn't
until after my father died and I'd quit working for FMC--and hence, lost
any opportunity for any financial help--that I decided to go back to
school. I was 22, busted, working full-time, and hopeful of getting through
a pre-med course.

By the age of 27, I had completed pre-med work plus all the requirements
for a math major. I was still busted--actually in a good-sized hole because
of the the student loans--and quite burnt from full-time work and full-time
school. But I had obtained a degree that no one can ever take away. It's
mine. I earned it. It was one hell of a lot of work. It also taught me a
lot about managing--life, work, school, people, ...

Now I know that not everyone is as fortunate to have the experience that I
had. Some float through school on their folk's money, taking easy courses
and not challenging themselves. But in the end, they still finished
something. There's a lot to be said for that.

> A college degree is a badge of conventionality. Like noticing
> whether the candidate is wearing an appropriate "interview suit,"
> it's a way of separating the more conventional candidates from
> the rest. These tokens are valuable because many managers are
> more comfortable hiring someone who might be incompetent
> than someone who might be outlandish.

No doubt about it. Our society is firmly entrenched in appearance,
including badges. There are some managers, maybe many, that don't want to
hire an oddball. That's their choice (or problem, depending on how you look
at it). If they aren't willing to take the time to dig deeper with job
candidates, they get that for which they ask.

Regards...Kris