Re: Advice on work-for-hire rates

Subject: Re: Advice on work-for-hire rates
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:19:50 +0200

Mark Prebilic schrieb:

> I have recently been accepted to do some writing for a major
> publisher, and since I have not been published before, I wanted to get
>
> some input on the rates I'm being offered. I will be paid $12.00 per
> page for 333 pages, of which about 1/2 will be revisions of existing
> material, 1/2 will be brand new material. Is this a reasonable amount
>
> to be paid, considering I am an unpublished author? Also, I am being
> asked to produce 30 pages per week for the new material, 60 for the
> revisions. Is that pretty much a standard volume of work? Any advice
> or comments are welcome. Thanks.

I guess it depends on whether you're just doing this as a hobby, or
whether you're trying to make a living out of it. In the latter case
you'll find that both the rates are ridiculously low and the number of
pages per week is totally unrealistic, unless it's material you're
totallly familiar with and you're the kind of guy who can crank out
usable copy 12 hours a day. (I've heard they exist)

There are of course many people who'll work basically for free, just to
see their name on the cover of a book. Not that there's anything wrong
with that - I have a friend who's self-published and is happy just to
recoup the printing costs. If you start this job, just make sure you
have a wad under your pillow, otherwise you'll end up starving.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG