Abbreviations -Reply

Subject: Abbreviations -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:27:02 -0700

I find an ordinary English dictionary to be of value when trying to
determine whether an abbreviation is common knowledge or not. If the
term, like ROM or DOS, has made the dictionary, then I figure that's
a reason for not defining it (although perhaps not the only factor to
be considered).

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

>John Cornellier wondered how to determine when to use
>abbreviations, and when to spell out the word or phrase.
>John, there's no simple rule of thumb: you have to know the
>words understood by your audience. Once you're familiar
>with the terms they use, you can make an enlightened
>decision on whether an acronym is OK.

Geoff, I think you're right: knowing the right context in which to
use abbreviations is one of those things that makes writing an art,
rather than an exact science.

That said, I use several other factors to help determine when to use
abbreviations:

1.) first occurence: besides the first time that the abbreviation is
used in the book, I usually spell out the name in full the first time
it's used in a section. My reason is that I assume that most people
aren't reading from cover to cover, but dipping into the book, and
would prefer to avoid looking up the abbreviation in a glossary.

2.) number of abbreviations: even for a technical audience,
I'm likely to use the full name more often if there's four or five
dozen other abbreviations that readers are supposed to remember.

3.) variation for readability: even though a technical audience may
know the abbreviations, I assume that instructions are easier to
follow if they're not a horde of abbreviations. A careful scattering
of the full-name helps clarity.

But, of course, it depends on the abbreviation. There would be no
point, obviously, in spelling out RAM in full, because the
abbreviation is probably more meaningful to most people than the full
name is.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter h:

"He said to Hallgerd, 'Let me have two locks of your hair, and
help my mother plait them into a bow-string for me.'
"'Does anything depend on it?' asked Hallgerd.
"'My life depends on it,' replied Gunnar, 'for they will never
overcome me as long as I can use my bow.'
"'In that case,' said Hallgerd, 'I shall now remind you of the
slap you once gave me. I do not care in the least whether you hold
out a long time or
not.'"
--Anonymous,
"Njal's
Saga"

message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot-
Send commands
browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at