Metaphor abuse

Subject: Metaphor abuse
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:03:57 -0500

John Cornellier wondered whether <<metaphors flatten the
learning curve but introduce long-term redundancy &
inefficiency>>.

I've indeed read that this is the case, but can't recollect
where... it was a reputable source, probably William
Horton? A metaphor works perfectly well as an introduction
to a concept, and makes a complex, foreign, or intimidating
concept easier to handle; in the long term, and sometimes
far sooner, the metaphor breaks down because it's only
similar to (not identical to) the reality, and users
eventually reach a point where the metaphor no longer
matches reality.

The issue of efficiency isn't truly related to your
original point, because not all metaphors are visual... so
the Macintosh "select an object and then say what you want
to do with it" metaphor is very different from the DOS
"choose what you want to do, then say what you want to do
it unto" metaphor, even if you had a visual version of DOS
or a text-based version of the Mac. The true efficiency
depends on the user and the task; I find keyboard commands
far more efficient while working with text, but a mouse
more efficient for file manipulation (with single files,
leastways) and page layout. YMMV.

<<Or is it a pygmies on the shoulder of giants thing: we
can only learn relative to what we already know?>>

It's not accurate to say that we can't learn something
unless its in comparison to what we already know, otherwise
babies would never learn to speak or understand English.
It's more a case that most of us learn more effectively
when we can fit new knowledge into a framework of existing
knowledge. Think of science, for example. It's a very few
geniuses who are able to contemplate something wholly new
and relate it to what's already known.

<<Anyone out there had any practical experience with naming
new features, specifically with user reaction to new
concepts vs. "piggybacking" user abilities by using
metaphor & recycling old design?>>

Very little direct experience, though the software I'm
currently documenting uses an elegant flowchart metaphor
that very nicely simulates the thought process that its
users follow. So the metaphor is well-received by users,
and well liked... despite numerous other metaphorical
horrors in the interface. (Next time around, I'm hoping to
have a say in the interface design; this time, I'm just
doing the docs and pointing out problems.)

The crucial thing with a metaphor is to figure out where it
breaks down, and make sure that you stop well short of that
point in your use of the metaphor; if users will naturally
try to go beyond that point, you need to emphasize that
they shouldn't do so. If the metaphor is actively
dangerous, then you need to rethink it. (Ex.: The original
Mac trash can icon was really a paper shredder, not a
physical repository... files in the trash would eventually
get overwritten when the system needed the space. When this
caused enough problems for users, they eventually turned it
into a separate directory that actually preserved files
until you threw them out... a much more robust metaphor.)