job angst--the outcome (a bit long)

Subject: job angst--the outcome (a bit long)
From: Dianne Walsh <ldwalsh -at- VOICENET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:05:22 -0400

Hold onto your hats, folks, this is a wild story. Remember my original posting about whether I should take a job that offered few benefits but a chance to do some exciting new stuff, or stay at my old job where I was doing the same things day after day--but had good benefits? Here's what happened.

The new company made an offer which I considered a bit too low. I renegotiated and got them to come up a good bit. I accepted (over the phone late Tuesday evening). Wednesday morning, I went in to see my boss and tell him I was resigning (hadn't written the official resignation letter yet). He was shocked! We talked for quite a while about why I wasn't happy and I was probably more candid than I should have been, but after I said my piece, he asked me how much the other ocmpany had offered. I told him and he immediately came back with an even higher offer--plus an immediate promotion to management and his word that I'd be able to do some of the things I wanted to do--budget permitting, of course. I had already prepared a plan for "growing" the department, showed it to him, and he didn't agrue a single point with me.

I accepted. The offer was just too good to refuse. Then I had to call the other folks and break the news to them. They were understanding, but disappointed. They even tried to counter the counter-offer, but I flet it was best not to get into a bidding war (even though it could have been interesting...). They were so nice that they offered to take me in at any time I felt this new position just wasn't working. You can bet I'll take them up on it if that happens. I'm planning to stay in touch and maybe offer to do a little freelancing for them if they have some small jobs that could be done on evenings or weekends.

All in all, I made out like the proverbial bandit--and it's nice to know that you can be 50-something and have two companies fighting over you. What an ego boost! Now to start on some of those projects I want to do...