Re: Degree Snobs

Subject: Re: Degree Snobs
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:04:11 -0400

I am not sure what generation this group is predominantly comprised of,
but I know that as a GenXer (yes, we have entered the job market) our
outlook on a degree is a bit different than it was for Boomers and Cusps.

Degrees are a lot more common these days. When my parents (Boomers) were
at that age when everybody else was getting a degree, they felt quite
inadequate since they weren't doing the same. Now it seems that
having an udergraduate degree is only slightly more prestigious than
having a high school diploma. And isn't that, after all, all this boils
down to--prestige! Who "appears" to be the smartest of them all.

I admit it... when I meet sombody who does not have a college degree, I,
without meaning to, look down my nose at him/her. I instantly think,
subconsciously,"I am smarter than he/she is". That may not be true in
reality, but my degree has given me a bit of confidence (maybe a little
bit of arrogance)in myself and my intelligence. People who don't have
degrees, generally, are blue collar workers. I am sorry, but I do think
that I am smarter than Bubba the plumber. So my association of the concept
of "no degree" correlates to "not that bright".

My degree is for me! It gives me confidence to sell myself as a
professional technical communcator. If you were to say that it takes
experience to give you that confidence, I would agree. But I know right
now, new as I am to the profession, I don't have enough experience to
lean on that alone. In this competitive environment my degree makes me
feel confident enough to tell a prospective client or employer "I don't
give a crap how much experience that Boomer has, I know what I am doing
and I could do the job he/she is doing twice as fast and better because I
have the aptitude and the attitude, *AND* I understand the tools better
because they were standard when I was in school."

Speaking for Generation X--If you don't have your degree, you better go
get one, if you want to be part of the technical community in the future.
Anyone who says "You don't need no stinking degree," is foolish. There may
be a great many people out there who are very successful in the TC field
without having obtained a degree, but don't suggest your method of success
to a Gen Xer. That is a thing of the past. We (Gen X)know that knowledge
is King, and if you don't have the degree in the future, you will not get
the job in a technical field.

"Fast Paced in your face. I am here to get the job done". That is what
employers are going to be looking for *in the future*. They won't have
time to wonder if you have a degree. If you have one, you'll have a
chance. Otherwise, C'ya--resume in the circular file!

Just IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion--I have a degree--na na na na na)

-MJL

p.s. that last comment was not a flame, just an attempt at humor.

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!