Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)

Subject: Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:04:15 -0700

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, DWeber wrote:

> So, what's your opinion on a multiple page resume? Tacky, or
> necessary? I don't want to short-change my experience just to squeeze
> it all on one page. Appearance in a resume is important too, so you
> can't overcrowd. I'd like to hear from those who actually hire tech
> writers and others.....what do you look for in a resume?

I am presently looking at resumes, and what I would urge you is to
concentrate more on making sure that what you *do* include is
appropriate. I don't mind looking at a 2-page (or even longer!) resume as
long as all that I'm reading is appropriate to the job the person is
applying for. Don't tell me about working as an orderly in the hospital
when you were in college. But do tell me about documenting the college's
telephone registration system. If it takes 2 pages, and it is appropriate
for the job, that's fine.

If you're going to cut, cut things like the associations you're a member
of. (This is, of course, a personal preference...you should ask others if
they agree.)

And, of course, number one rule: have at least two others look at your
resume before you send it out! (Preferrably, one technical writer, and
one person who is *not* a technical writer.)

Good luck,

David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com