Re: The ubiquity of paper

Subject: Re: The ubiquity of paper
From: Ron Sering CDS <ronaldse -at- MANX -dot- CDS -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:57:56 MDT

We recently conducted a face-to-face survey of representative users in which we asked, among other things, what sort of documentation delivery system(s) the users would prefer, either on-line or paper. The overwhelming response was: Both!

Users preferred the online information for its flexibility and immediacy of delivery; they used it to copy programming examples from the online medium onto their screens, and for accessing quick "hints" on how to accomplish something specific. The paper manuals were preferred for learning conceptual information, i.e. how something works. This is not earthshaking information, but rather a simple restatement of the strenths and benefits of the two mediums. I think the move to Winhelp, HTML, and information delivered by CD-ROM and over the Internet is exciting and useful, but I also think that rumors of the death of paper manuals is somewhat premature....I just got Microsoft Office Pro 97 in the mail....I removed the CD and was boggled that I'd just plunked down 200 bucks for a little sliver of polymer...Guess I'll have to go buy a manual....

My $.02.... or maybe a little more....

- Ron Sering-not-Serling