Degrees and dress codes

Subject: Degrees and dress codes
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:39:21 EST

It seems to me that the degree/non-degree argument is going the
way of the dress code argument -- that is, a holy war. I don't
think this is productive. What matters most to me in these areas
is figuring out the approach that will help me get me a job, keep
it, and advance while keeping other aspects of my life in
balance.

I already mentioned that I dress for the higher-ups, not for
myself, so let's let that sleeping dog lie. As to the degree --
I have hired three tech writers and gone through what seemed like
hundreds of resumes. Almost all of the applicants had bachelors'
degrees in *something,* though usually not tech writing. Those
few with no college degree tended to be older, because they'd
spent years getting experience in various areas.

Now, _I_ didn't care about their degrees! I cared about the
quality of the applicants' writing and about their methods of
operation in the workplace. I never, ever round-filed or
short-listed an applicant based on education, because it just
isn't much of a predictor of workplace success, IMNSHO.

However, some folks won't hire a non-degreed writer. I think
this is incredibly stupid, but it is the reality of the market.
So if you really, really want to be a tech writer, and you don't
want to have to jump through nonsensical, artificial,
employer-imposed hurdles, get a degree in something and recognize
that you will forfeit some income during your period of formal
education. If you really, really want to start your career
without spending time and money for a degree, go for it and
realize that you _may_ have problems getting jobs later.

Whatever you do, make sure it works for you! You're the one who
has to live with it!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
BNA and I do not speak for each other. The company also does not
speak for fortune cookies. Today's message:

Accept the next proposition you hear.