Re: sans serif fonts

Subject: Re: sans serif fonts
From: Mc Jdub <wigginje -at- PSSCH -dot- PS -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:11:04 -0400

From what I understand, the meaning of sans serif is
"with curves"
> right? So I would assume just by definition, that a serif font
> that
> is more basic, would be easier to read. I don't know. I think
> it
> just depends on the whole picture: layout design, use of
> graphics, and
> of course, white space (our dear friend). It seems to me that it
> is a
> preference issue...although some would argue that there is a
> distinct
> answer.
No, the serif is the part of the character that "finishes" off the main
stroke. It's the "extra" to a letter, the "flourish," if you will.
"Sans" is French for "without" -- hence, "sans serif" = "without the
serif." Common examples of sans serif fonts are Arial and the older
Helvetica; serif fonts would include Times New Roman, Century
Schoolbook, and Bookman Old Style.

From what I understand, it is generally accepted that body text is
easier to read when it is in a serif font. (IN GENERAL.) Serif fonts
are also commonly used when certain effects are desired, e.g., for the
text to appear more "authoritative," etc.

I've also heard recently, though, that there is growing evidence that
when electronic/online documents are concerned (or really, ones that you
read on your screen is the idea), sans serif fonts are easier to read.
I've been trying to determine this for myself, but I can't decide yet.
Sometimes sans serif seems easier to read, sometimes serifs do. I *have*
noticed that it is easier for me to detect typos when I'm using a serif
font. With sans serif, sometimes the "i"s and the "l"s get blurred
together, and so on. So maybe that's an indication.

IMO, each case is different, and each situation calls for its own
"answer." I think you're right that it ultimately depends on the
circumstances -- on the whole picture, as you say -- instead of on any
definitive hard and fast rules.

Jeff Wiggin
mailto:wigginje -at- pssch -dot- ps -dot- ge -dot- com