Modules vs. components

Subject: Modules vs. components
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:03:44 -0500

Jane Bergen asked for some help concerning terminology:

<<We've been trying to come up with some consistent use of
the terms "module," "component," and "plug-in" as they
apply to software.>>

I'm not aware of any standards, so here's my opinion based
on the most common usage I've seen (YMMV) and on basic
English wording: A component is some visually distinct
functional part of the software, usually based on the user
interface; icon bars, menus and command lines are different
components. I don't like this word simply because it's too
generic, and doesn't narrow things down enough for your
problem. A module is a discrete piece of software that
performs a single function or closely related set of
functions; for example, accounting software usually has
separate (but integrated) accounts payable and accounts
receivable modules. A plug-in is something that you load
only when necessary to fill a gap in the software's
_built-in_ functions.

<<Some of our products come as a suite (like Microsoft
Office with Word, Excel, etc., perhaps). The user can
choose among these pieces to install/not install them
individually.>>

Based on my definition and your MS Office analogy, these
would be modules (e.g., the word processing and number
crunching modules). If they're not particularly integrated,
it might be better just to call them separate programs.

<<Other of our software products comes as one application.
Our developers add in certain "pieces" such as call
control, server applets, etc. The user usually does not see
that this software is anything but a single product. Its
pieces are totally seamless and one installation does it
all, with which pieces determined by the sale terms and our
development team. No install options for the user to choose
or reject.>>

Again, modules. You would more likely call these plug-ins
if the user had some ability to load or unload the modules.