Re: "bump it up a notch"

Subject: Re: "bump it up a notch"
From: DWeber <dweber -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:28:35 EST

I just recently developed two on-line help systems, incorporating
multimedia. I created .avi files using Lotus ScreenCam, to illustrate
in motion, how to complete a specific complex process for the software
application I documented. I created a video button and a hypertext
link to the video. In my procedure window, the camera button was
inserted right before the steps actually began. I got the videos to
run in a secondary window, and launch as soon as the button was
clicked. Only thing I haven't figured out, is how to get the videos
to close on their own after they are done playing.

A new tool to also consider is Microsoft Camcorder. It's freeware and
is available on the internet. What is good about this tool, is you
can compress your avi file into a standalone executable, which reduces
the file size by 40% (important to customers), and you don't have to
worry about what media player the customers computers use. It
automatically compiles the player with the video.

Oh, and I use Doc-To-Help to compile the help system.

As far as who made the decision to use multimedia.....we just
convinced our customer that it was easy to do, wouldn't cost them much
more time....and it impressed the hell out of them!!!

Email me offline if I can go into further detail for you...on how I
actually incorporated the videos.

Diana Moran

Subject: "bump it up a notch"
Author: Ben Bradley <ben -at- DEMOSHIELD -dot- COM> at smtp
Date: 7/24/97 2:49 PM

I'm doing some research here...thanks in advance for your answers to the
following:

Has anyone integrated multimedia (dynamic content) into their online
documentation or knowledge bases?

Ultimately, who made the decision to add multimedia to documentation?

Has anyone measured the impact of "bumping it up a notch?" Even informally,
I'm curious to know
if the extra effort of learning an authoring application is worth the added
impact that dynamic content
brings to the communications process.

Thanks again for your help.