Re: Sans serif fonts for visually impaired

Subject: Re: Sans serif fonts for visually impaired
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:30:32 -0500

>Tim Altom, you
> wrote an article about designing for dyslexics, didn't you?), I assumed the
> reason visually impaired students seemed to prefer sans was for the same
> reason dyslexics do: because serif letters blend into each other. Not
> exactly, one student told me. It's because of the uniformity of most sans
> serif fonts. Serif letters tend to thin in places, but most sans serif
> fonts have uniform thickness throughout. This student told me she actually
> loses parts of serif letters because she can't see the thin parts, and she
> can't tell what the letters are. She said she finds 16-point bold Arial
> the easiest to read.

Just think how much time and effort it would have saved if "people"
would have believed me in the first place. Took Tim's send
(hint, hint) to say the samething. Folks. I ain't just
whistling Dixie here. I have truly done that and been there.

My first masters work was in Reading. Many, many years ago and
I have taught some of the most difficult cases ever... talking
complete reversal dyslexics, autistics, and bullheaded manglement
types so... 'nough said please!

Best Regards,

Pat Gantt, VoTech Guide
Personal email ~ pagantt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net
The University of Tennessee, M.S. HRD
VoTech Guide ~ The Mining Company
Business Mail ~ votech -dot- guide -at- miningco -dot- com
http://votech.miningco.com
GO VOLS! Don't ask Peyton who!