Re: Systems documents

Subject: Re: Systems documents
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:52:47 -0400

Hmmm. If I were the Lone Tech Writer, and I was already up
to my eyeballs in work, I might be nervous.

As with most everything, there are pros and cons. Here's an
incomplete list...

Pros:
You control the document -- you can make sure it's done right,
which will benefit you later, as well as your developers. You
know you'll be able to get your hands on the thing. You'll be
able to get a lot of questions answered early in the process,
which will put you ahead when you start writing. You can spot
UI flaws early.

Cons:
Doing the system docs will eat up your time. If you work
on multiple projects and you have user docs for one project and
systems docs for another project due at the same time, which one
is going to take precedence? They aren't going to expect you to
use the system docs as the user docs, are they? (Was it here that
someone posted that they were expected to combine their test cases
and user docs?)

I'm sure others can add to both lists...
A.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer