thanks. . .

Subject: thanks. . .
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:44:41 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about non-standard manual
sizes. Looks like the basic procedure is to print it on 8.5 x 11 with crop
marks and have a printer cut it down accordingly. My next step, I think,
is to check with local printers to find out how much all this will cost and
then show my boss the figures.

The whole issue may become more complex, though, because now we're talking
about giving the customer one set of bound manuals along with a set on CD
-- what they'll do with crops marks on their CD versions, I don't exactly
know. And now that someone else has raised the issue of users editing the
docs, I'm a little worried and will have to take this up with my boss. The
software doesn't really pose any life-threatening dangers, but a few
changes here and there could crash systems.

I'd also be interested in any hard data connected to manual size, now that
Daniel raised the issue again. As I said in my original post, I'd checked
through the techwr-l archives to find out what folks were doing, and the
smaller size seems generally connected to desk space, as several folks have
already pointed out. Has anyone done extensive (or not so extensive)
surveys of their users on this? Any actual numbers out there?

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti
Department of English Recognition Research, Inc.
University of Wisconsin - Madison Blacksburg, Virginia
mparetti -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu mparetti -at- rrinc -dot- com

Sometimes I feel like a dog
standin' on a tool box
in the back of a pickup truck
doin' 90 round a corner