Auto TOC in MS Weird 6.0

Subject: Auto TOC in MS Weird 6.0
From: Bridget M Kerr <BMKERR -at- MAIL -dot- DELCOELECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:51:36 -0500

Good morning everyone. For some reason servers aren't playing nice and I
can't search the list archives right now. However, I recall some persons
posting to this list about having successfully handled 500 to 700 page
manuals in MS Word. I'm looking for help from those people.

I have received a heading and sub-heading riddled engineering document, in
Word 6.0, that is only about 150 pages. For some reason, the automatic
Table of Contents refuses to work with the document. Trying to capture
only Level One headings causes out-of-memory errors.

Here's an idea of some the formatting:
* Auto Section numbering is part of the Heading styles
* Probably 7 levels of headings used in the document
* Approx. 20 automatic cross-references to section numbers
* Some hidden text index tags throughout document
* No graphics, clip art or otherwise

Does anyone know what, if anything, from the above list might be causing
the Auto TOC to choke? Any suggestions for unclogging things?

Thanks for your time,

Bridget Kerr
Delco Electronics Corp.