Re: To click on, or just to click?

Subject: Re: To click on, or just to click?
From: Jeffrey Pittman <jpittman -at- XWS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:10:39 -0700

At 01:39 PM 7/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> >From: Mark L. Levinson[SMTP:mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL]
>> >
>> >I'd like your up-to-the-minute opinions on whether it's preferable
>> >to tell the user to "click" a line in an on-screen list or to
>> >"click on" the line.
>
>I'd say "select".
>
>Cheers!

The problem is, select is the same a highlight. To launch
most programs, one must double click an item. I write documentation
for people who have *very* limited computer skills. If I simply
said to select an item, that item would only be highlighted, and
then the support call would come. Therefore, I use a screen capture
for each step, and the instructions for the operation reads
something like this:

"Double click on the item you see highlighted in the graphic."

This seems to work out for my clients.

YOUR THOUGHTS,
DREAMS,
and IDEAS