Re: Providing Salary Info

Subject: Re: Providing Salary Info
From: William Blank <wmblank -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:56:53 -0700

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:13:21 -0400 Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
writes:
>All,
>

>When being courted by a company's HR person, it seems that they always
>want to know what salary I am currently earning. Do you think that it
>is
>bad to reveal this information in terms of negotiating my salary later
>with the hiring manager? Should I keep that to myself, or does it even
>matter?

>Comments? Suggestions? Answers?

I would say something like, "In my next position, I'm looking for
$xx,000."

If your comfortable in your current job, what you're earning is
irrelevant. What you want to convey is what you're looking for, which is
probably at least 25% more than you're currently earning.

William Blank
Laconic Documentation Services
Laconic [La-kon-ik] (adj) Direct, to the point, with no wasted words
Creating clear, concise, accurate documentation for technical
applications