Re: Single-step procedures

Subject: Re: Single-step procedures
From: Christopher Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:22:52 PDT

Thanks very much to eeveryone who posted to this topic. To those who
doubted that a procedure with one step is not a procedure, I say:
yes it is. I distinguish a procedure by distinctive typography for the
procedure objective (typically also a separate line), and by the use of
step numbers, so as to provide visual cues for busy readers scanning for
information on how to accomplish a task. Whether that takes 1 or 5 steps
is immaterial. Whenever possible, I avoid the "1"/bullet problem for
single-step procedures by having the objective run into the step.
In this case, the objective and (single) step were too long, and the
objective too important, for this solution.
So, gentle readers, what I have done is follow the suggestion of some,
and used a dingbat (a small right arrow) instead of the bullet.

Thanks again!