HTML editor recommendations

Subject: HTML editor recommendations
From: A Watkins <awatkins -at- POBOX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 02:30:47 -0500

Last week, I asked for recommendations for HTML editors and for
converters from both Frame and Word.
I read the responses very carefully; some replies talked about
experience with different programs
but no recommendations. There was interest in the results, so
here they are . . .

for editor
the clear-cut winner is HomeSite -
http://www.allaire.com/main.cfm - with 7 votes
second choice=MS FrontPage - http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/
- with 4 votes for and 1 against
third choice=Adobe PageMill -
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/pagemill/main.html - with 3 votes

for converter
the no-contest winner is HTML Transit -
http://www.infoaccess.com/products/transit/ht/htframe.htm - with
7 votes
second choice=WebWorks Publisher -
http://www.quadralay.com/Publisher/ - with 5 votes
third is a tie: Word to Web - http://www.solutionsoft.com/w2w.htm
-and-
Web Publisher -
http://www.skisoft.com/#WEBPUB11 - each with 2 votes

I like to avoid MS when I can, but it seems that FrontPage is
best for site management. Its weaknesses, like
text-wrapping and precise frame construction, are less important
than the handling of tables and outline formatting.
It seems that PageMill is great for everything except tables and
managing large sites. Everyone says that HomeSite
is easy to use and powerful, but no specifics were given.

So now, I ask those of you who use either of the three mentioned
above, what are the strengths and weaknesses
you've experienced? On this intranet will be requirements
documents, software design descriptions, file layouts and the
like.
Most likely, I won't have fancy graphics or Java applets running
amok. And it will be a large site. One document alone will have
about 175 separate pages of tables. We'll be using IE for the
browser 'cause it's free (I prefer Navigator though).

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'll post results after a
few days.

BTW, for converter, 1 vote each for Internet Assistant for Word
and Doc-to-Help Help Site;
for editor, 1 vote each for Netscape Composer and HotDogPro.

Alfred Watkins
GTECH Texas Software Engineering
mailto:awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com