Re: Idea for more graphics and better archiving

Subject: Re: Idea for more graphics and better archiving
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 02:36:39 -0800

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:20:41 -0500, Eric Haddock wrote:

> I was initially excited about the product because there has been
>something like it on the Macintosh for years and years, but I haven't seen
>the equivalent in the Windows world.

Hmm, I dunno about Windows, but this certainly isn't a new concept for
PCs in general. If I read the original post correctly, OS/2 has had
this ability since at least v2.0 in 1991 - simply print-to-file with
any PS printer driver. The outcome is a PS file.

As for image cataloging, OS/2 has plenty of inherant options. A
graphic tool such as PMView can assign a thumbnail of an image to that
image's icon. A Details view of the folder displays such additional
information as filesize, image creation and last-access dates, and so
on. Since Warp 3.0 (late 1994), there's also been a special class of
folder availabled called a Lighttable, which displays larger thumbnails
of images as "slides"; thumbnails can be created automatically by the
built-in multimedia. Images can also be sorted into folders and easily
organized via Tree views. OS/2's use of "shadows" (like Win95's
"shortcuts" but infinitely more powerful and flexible) allows easy
inclusion of images in multiple folders without actually keeping
multiple copies around. Thumbnail and icon data is stored with the
file itself as an "extended attribute", rather that in a separate
program's proprietary database, so the thumbnail is completely portable
with the image itself.

Basically, it sounds like everything this "Graphics Connection" claims
to do, I already have built into my operating system.

<yawn> :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

They say there are strangers, who threaten us
Our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness, too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"