Re: Creativity

Subject: Re: Creativity
From: David Dvorkin <dvorkin -at- BOLIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:27:45 -0600

Alessandro Bottoni wrote:

>I tried. Be aware that writing novels is not just a matter to let your =
>thoughts flow down to the paper. A real novel (or a short story) =
>requires a carefull design and has to be written keeping in mind the =
>final result you want to get, chapter by chapter and sentence by =
>sentence. I would suggest you to read a few book regarding creative =
>writing technics before attempting such a task.

Strong disagreement.

Writing novels with their overall structure always in mind is something
that generally comes a bit later in a novelist's career. With the first
novel, often with the first few, it's best for most writers to simply write,
to enjoy the act of creation and the putting of words on paper (or monitor).
After the first book is done, the writer learns the crucial art of rewriting.

Books and courses on creative writing techniques are to be avoided like
the plague.

David Dvorkin
Qualix Group, Inc.
Boulder Development Ctr.