Writing novels too?

Subject: Writing novels too?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:24:12 -0500

Julie Hesselgesser wondered if anyone else writes novels
outside work. Yup... plus lots of short stories. The
hardest part is getting past the techwhirler conditioned
reflex: "Make it as concise as possible, then make it
shorter." It takes me an awful lot of mental effort to let
events unfold and characters express themselves at their
own pace, and that really annoys me. But I nonetheless
enjoy changing writing styles after work; it's like doing
strength and endurance training at different times when you
exercise... builds very different mental muscles.