Word97 --can anyone explain this one?

Subject: Word97 --can anyone explain this one?
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 23:23:32 -0800

True story: I'm a contractor working on a short (60pp) manual in Word 97,
which I save in Word 6 format because my home PC still has W3.11 and Word 6
on it. Before inserting illustrations, the file was approx. 200K. After
inserting a dozen or so screen shots it ballooned to 20 meg. (so far,
pretty standard Word97 and Word 6 behaviour. It's OK, I have a Zip drive).
A number of revisions later, my computer's performance became seriously
degraded. After a 20-minute (!) save to the Zip drive. I discovered the
file was 68 meg.

"Fast save" was disabled, by the way. I re-saved under different file
names, to different media, etc. Still 68 meg in Word 6, and in Word 6
format in Word97.

Arriving at the client's office with my Zip disk, I backed everything up,
and then saved the file in Word97 format. The file was saved in the blink
of an eye. I checked its file size: 680K. Nervously, I checked for missing
bits -- there are none. It's all there, but now a slim, trim version of its
former self.

What's going on? Is this just terminal flakiness in Word 6 'compatibility'?
Should I just cave in and get Word97 on the home machine? I though I'd seen
odd things out of Word, but this one's, well, another.

Eric Brown Communications
869 Drayton Street
North Vancouver BC V7L 2C2
tel (604) 618-1766