Re: Symbols on Web Pages

Subject: Re: Symbols on Web Pages
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:32:41 -0400

Kim,

I suspect that the code you give for the TM symbol may be a
browser-specific thing. 153 is, indeed, the ASCII character
number for the TM symbol, but that is not the case in the
ISO-8859-1 character set that is supposed to be the HTML
standard.

According to everything I have read, including the Web Design
Group web site cited by Bill Burns, there are two ranges of
character numbers that are reserved in the ISO-8859-1
character set. In fact, here the quote from the WDG page:

ISO-8859-1 explicitly does not define displayable
characters for positions 0-31 and 127-159, and the
HTML standard does not allow those to be used
for displayable characters.

The lower range of reserved character numbers includes
control characters like tab, newline, and carriage return.
The upper reserved range (nos 127-159) includes the TM
character and a number of other popular "extended ACSII"
characters including en-dash, em-dash, bullet, single and
double dagger symbols, and all variations on quote marks
except for the "plain-vanilla" double-quote symbol.

Some browsers may choose to display the familiar ASCII
characters for these character numbers, but it is not part
of the HTML standard and should not be relied upon
unless you have a captive audience using a single browser.

If you really need some symbol that is outside ISO-8859-1,
the only solution that is 100% reliable is to create it in GIF
form and reference that graphic object in your HTML file.

BTW, the ISO character set does include the _registered
trademark_ symbol (the circled "R"). This can be inserted
as:
&#174; -OR- &reg;

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com