"Media" manual?

Subject: "Media" manual?
From: Colleen Adams <PD33 -at- MEDISPAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:27:43 -0500

Special thanks to everyone who responded to my questions on
developing on-line documentation, especially Dave Chisma, Rebecca
Sukach, Matthew Stern, Beth in Tucson, Barbara Green, Kathy Marshall,
and Theresa Dunson. If anyone else is interested in the responses, I can
post a summary.

Now, another question:

My company has recently offered 2 more product media types to deliver
data and software to our customers--CD and telecommunications. (yea, I
know, welcome to the '90s!)

We've since created (very quickly, I might add) technical addendums for
these two media types that would ship with the product and manual.
(These pieces give downloading instructions, requirements, etc.)

However, would it be feasible to create a "Media Manual", of sorts, that
addresses ALL media types (we currently support diskette, data
cartridge, and mag tape) that would accompany every product and
manual ordered? That way, we would not have to eventually update all
other manuals to include CD- and telecom-specific info.

It seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure....Has anyone else out there
done something similar? I'd like your thoughts and ideas.

Colleen Adams
External Documentation Supervisor
Medi-Span, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN