Re: Archiving vs. compression ( ...tar on my hands)

Subject: Re: Archiving vs. compression ( ...tar on my hands)
From: Mary Anthony <mary -at- PERSISTENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:05:43 -0700

At 02:49 PM 8/6/97 -0500, Elsa Kapitan-White wrote:
>Mary Anthony and John Wilcox suggested "archiving" but this term for
>stuffed/zipped files wouldn't work in this situation.

Actually, I think I said that compression or compress sounds find to me.
Not knowing the context of the project, it would be difficult for anyone to
suggest a definitive answer.

BTW, Phillip Winn pointed out to me that tar does no compression. Indeed,
tar does no compression that I could see and the actual tar file (tar cvf
was what I used) came out larger than the original. Stupid me for trusting
the written source without testing it first!

Mary