Re: One or two spaces after a full stop?

Subject: Re: One or two spaces after a full stop?
From: jennap <jennap -at- STINGSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:32:39 -0400

The original reason for having two spaces after a full stop was that
typewriter font or courier was the only font available for most books at
the time. Because all the letters had equal space given to the them,
the only way to make sure the full stop was recognizable was to put in
two spaces. In publishing today we use more friendly fonts like Times
New Roman and such, which are not monospaced fonts. Because of this,
two spaces after a full stop is no longer necessary. Most publishers
still use it, but it is more because it's hard to change than because it
needs to be that way. (I don't know about you, but I learned it in
typing class and it's tough to go back!) For a more thorough
explanation, try the book Desktop Publishing by Design, by Robin
Williams (not the comedian!), or one of her smaller books either "the
Mac is not a Typewriter" or "The PC is not a Typewriter." (they're
small but full of great tips!).

TTFN--Jenna