Segmenting to go cross platform

Subject: Segmenting to go cross platform
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:54:22 -0400

Anybody out there know of a Win95 utility that will segment a file and a
compatible Macintosh utility that will merge the segmented files.

Here's the problem:

I have found a relatively large application on the web that I want to use
on my macintosh at home. I have dial up access at home, but it only runs
at 14.4 (hours of download time to get the 8 meg file). At work, however,
we have a T1 connection and it will suck the file down within a few
minutes. So, now I have an Archived Mac file on my Win95 PC, but I want to
take it home.

The file is in .hqx which I can decompress using Stuffit for Win95.
However, I would rather keep the file compressed, segment it, save the
segments to floppies, copy the segments to my Mac at home, merge the
segments back into an .hqx archive, and then decompress the file using
Stuffit for Macintosh.

Hints? Advice?

Also, does anybody know if zip disks can be cross platform. I don't have a
zip drive at home, but am considering getting one if it can go cross
platform.(Then again, maybe I should just spring for a 56k modem)

I suspect that this may be off topic for the list, so please respond
off-list. If others want the info, I will post the solutions I get later.

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!