Re[2]: Let's play ... spam the spammers!

Subject: Re[2]: Let's play ... spam the spammers!
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:43:49 -0500

The problem is, that most of the adresses in spam-headers don't work.
I switched to using a modified sender adress (netscape allows this)
to reduce spam and it seems to work.

And over half the ones that *do* work are forged, so all you'd accomplish
is getting some innocent third party harassed.

Netscape and others have huge holes in their mail servers which allow
spammers to use those servers as relay points for their mail, making the
mail seem to come from somewhere it doesn't. So retaliation via email is
next to impossible.

One question these so-called businessmen don't have an answer for, though
is: If you're going to start your sales pitch by lying to me (forged return
address) why should I trust anything else you say? If you're willing to lie
to me just to get to talk to me, then you're willing to lie to me about
your product, service, whatever, to get me to buy.

Luckily enough, the spammers exhibit no signs of creativity whatsoever
(along with no signs of integrity or intelligence) so it gets easier and
easier to filter them out.

I haven't opened one by mistake in months, now.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224