Re: Capital letters

Subject: Re: Capital letters
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 00:59:51 -0700

Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM> called to say (if you can make it okay):

>The practice of excessive capitalization is not limited to technical
>fields. <Uni-journalism snip>
>It was especially difficult to convince them that position names
>(whether administrative or athletic) were lowercase unless you were
>talking about a political leader.

Ahhh, yes, the days in student journalism:

Two editors, two reporters, and two professors *screaming* and thumping
various editions of the _A.P. Stylebook and Libel Manual_
at/thru/across/around each other on a point of capitalizing "Student Body
Treasurer."

(One of each said do, the others said don't; an hour before press time).

Nevermind that as the edited story ran, egregious factual errors caused a
near-riot at the student union when a grindcore band called
"H8, Inc." performed for a crowd of Young Republicans or that the Music
Entrepreneurs' Club had zero attendance at their seminar/concert at the
other end of campus... and Club Veep jane lane's quote was attributed to
president Daria Morgendorfer (my long interview with MEC faculty advisor/er
Jeff Whatshisname, sax player for Valley club stalwarts "the Groove
Merchants," was cut from the story).

<shrug>

There's a rule of technical communication in there somewhere....<grin>

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

http://www.vr2link.com
<mailto:vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>

"Not just out to get a job done: out to change the world."
-- Wakeup call from Steve Jobs, 06 August 1997