SUMMARY: Choosing a menu option

Subject: SUMMARY: Choosing a menu option
From: Scott Miller <scott_miller -at- CCMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:24:16 -0800

Thanks for your responses to how to choose a menu option. I should have been
clearer about my query, in that we currently use "Choose Create - Message" and
are thinking of using something else. We ruled out "Choose Message from the
Create menu" because of the backwards sequence, as several people pointed out.

The choices got down to:

1. "From the menu, choose Create - Message"
2. "From the Create menu, choose Message."

Here's a sampling of responses, which indicates that "From the Create menu,
choose Message" is the way to go.
--------------------------
Definitely the second one [From the Create menu...]. The first one is not
standard and is even
misleading. As a user in the first example, I would be looking for a
single menu with a menu choice that said "Create-Message"!
--------------------------
From the Create menu, choose Message...

If you check out the Microsoft style guide, this is the way they do it.
Not that MS knows everything by a long shot, but it means that most
users know what this kind of wording means. It's also better, IMO.
--------------------------
The second. It's more intuitive and more like natural writing.
My preference is:
>"From the Create menu, choose Message."
Definitely the second!
"From the Create menu, choose Message."
The second one, without a doubt. Why just say "from the menu" (which
menu?), and _then_ tell the reader? Just say which menu to begiin with.