Re: Boss' gender?

Subject: Re: Boss' gender?
From: Tim Covil <covil_t -at- WIZTEC-USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:40:31 -0400

Geoff wrote:
>By the way, "they" has a long tradition of being used as a singular, so it's
not "wrong".

My reply:
I can't argue with your premise. However, I can argue that your premise
fails to lead to your conclusion. You don't really believe that "a long
tradition" lends a practice justification, I'm sure. If so, we'd still
be hazing cadets at the Citadel here in S.C., and we damn sure wouldn't
be admitting women. It may be true that "they" isn't wrong, but not
BECAUSE it has a long tradition.

What does "wrong" mean, anyway? You said that "they" looks wrong to the
reader. If it "looks wrong" and is therefore inadvisable to use, then
what is the differentiation between it and something that is "REALLY
wrong"?