DFW area

Subject: DFW area
From: Buck Buchanan <buck -dot- buchanan -at- CITICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 07:43:26 -0700

It seems that there are a lot of TW jobs available in
> Austin and Dallas. What is it like to work there?
great if you can stay out of the sun in summer.

What are the salaries
> like?
TW $28-38 per hour
Help files $30-40

Neighborhoods and housing prices?
Average second-hand house report last week was $115,000. That's for a
3-br/2-ba/2-car/ on a city lot.
I just bought 10acres 45 minutes north of the metroplex with a
double-wide (30x56) mobile home made permanent by concrete foundation.
Fully fenced for all kinds of animals. Cross fenced in two places.
House on 1/2A fenced separately. 1/4A of raised (raised 12" with
landscape timbers) vegetable garden with hauled-in topsoil. Two 6'x60'
rose gardens with 20 rosebushes in each. Three other raised fully
planted flower gardens. 40x40 barn (with daisies painted on the doors).
1/4A stock tank (12' x 140' dam) with Florida bass, channel catfish,
bream, and minnows. Seven acres of oak trees.

How much? $81,000

Texas has come up as a
> possibility in our mid-long range planning (3-10 yrs). Since my husband
> is in law enforcement and speaks Spanish, he assumes he'd have no problem
> getting a good job down there. Is this true?

Shortage of police officers everywhere.

> 2. Which is correct::
> log on to
> logon to
> log onto
> when speaking of gaining access to a computer, such as a mainframe?

Here's an excerpt from my Document Conventions section (it's in tabular
form in my books but I won't bother to put it in that form for this
post:

Document Conventions
Item Convention Example
Field names Initial Caps, Italic, sans Serif Date Code
Button names Initial Caps, Bold, Serif File Status
Menu names Initial Caps, Bold, Serif Function menu
Icon Names Initial Caps, Bold, Serif Common Server Login icon
Keyboard names Small Caps, sans Serif TAB
Programming Code;Text within Code Lower Case, Monospace, Serif root2 =
sqrt(2);
User Input Italic, Serif Type your password
Dialog Boxes Initial Caps, Bold, Serif Database Login dialog box
Screens titles Initial Caps, Bold, Serif Install Application screen
Default settings Initial Caps, Bold, Italic, Serif The default setting
is Global

The term character, used throughout this manual refers to any
alphabetical or numerical character.

The words Login and Logon are used interchangeably and may be either a
noun or an adjective. The verb phrases log in, log on, and log off, are
written as two words.

Enjoy

--
Buck Buchanan
Software Documentation

buck -dot- buchanan -at- citicorp -dot- com
Home: writer -at- wf -dot- net