Re: Monitor/Resolutions

Subject: Re: Monitor/Resolutions
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:29:17 -0800

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:19:37 -0300, Suzanne Townsend wrote:

>Does anyone have the "definitive" answer as to what the prevailing (if
>not "standard") screen resolution most computer users use is?

Standard VGA, 640x480 -at- 60Hz, would be my guess (based on my experience).
Depending on what system is running on it and who set it up, the vast
majority is probably fairly evenly split between 16 colors (4bpp) and 256
colors (8bpp).

Reason: This is the default setting for almost every common operating
system or environment, since it will work properly with 99% of monitors
currently in use. Higher resolutions and/or refresh rates may not work
or may look strange on some monitors, particularly on older non-multisync
or VGA-only monitors (a friend of mine has an old 21" monitor he was
given long ago - it works great, but it doesn't multisync, so it only
supports a few high-res modes).

>And, if they are capable of higher resolutions, why don't they use them?

a) Most people probably don't know the difference.
b) Most wouldn't know how to change it even if they did
know the difference.
c) Many would be too afraid to attempt to change it even
if they did know how, for fear of "breaking" something.
d) After getting used to the default 640x480, many people
find anything higher to be "too small".

You'll note too that most common applications, and where applicable
included clipart, are optimized for 16-color displays, probably for
exactly this reason. Meaning again, of course, that most people would
never notice the difference.

Of course, this is largely generalized, but since you didn't specify any
particular type of computer users in any specific fields, I've commented
based on my experience with "Joe Shmoe" computer user.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>