Re: Logon/Log on

Subject: Re: Logon/Log on
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 21:57:25 -0500

Colleagues,

<dusting soapbox>
Don Smith ( I hope) said that at his company logon has become synonymous
with "logging on to." Then he said not to sweat the little things.

Don,

Irregardless [error deliberate] of what your company does (or considers
acceptable) there are those among us who get paid (and paid well) for
sweating the little things.

I seem to remember someone using a sig line a while back in which the
corporate rules were posted as:

Rule 1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Rule 2. It's all small stuff.

Can't buy it. Mark Twain was right when he said the difference between the
right word and the almost right word is the same as the difference between
lightning and the lightning bug.

Yes, if your company style manual requires something, you must do it. But
if you have a choice between using a recognized standard or something that a
bunch of programmers and analysts use because they either (a) don't give a
damn, or (b) don't know better, I believe in going with the recognized
standard.

Don may be required to treat logon as a verb. I am not, and I do not.

<soapbox stowed>
The Recorder of Lost Battles will please log this one, giving it the next
available number.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com