hyperlink style question

Subject: hyperlink style question
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:09:33 -0400

Hello, my opinionated colleagues (and I mean that in the best
possible way ;-)

I have a question about hyperlink style.

Background: We provide online books in PDF form. No hardcopy.
Sophisticated audience. We have no existing style guideline for
this dilemma.

Per convention, our hyperlinks are in blue so they are easily-
recognizable. However, we are still using hardcopy x-ref conventions
also -- putting section titles in quotes and providing page numbers.

Dilemma: The blue text, quotes, and page numbers seem like
overkill. Our audience is used to online stuff -- should we just
use the blue text and get rid of the quotation marks and page
numbers? (since they can just select the link and go to that
section) Or should I keep them in there for the one or two users
who might print the darn thing out?

For example...
Instead of:
'To create a process' on page 16 <with section title in hyperlink blue
text>
Just have:
To create a process <in hyperlink blue text>

I prefer the second -- it's simpler and cleaner. My audience tends to
use
the docs online, rather than printing them out. Any good reasons for
keeping
the quotation marks and page numbers? Is the possibility that it might
be
printed out a good enough reason to keep 'em?

Thanks!
A.
--
Alexia Prendergast