More Word Help Needed

Subject: More Word Help Needed
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:18:58 -0700

First of all, let me say that I hope Word98 is more like Word95 than
Word97. Unless they skip even years and release it as Word99.

The Situation: Office97

I have a paragraph style that is automatically numbered Chapter 1:,
Chapter 2:, Chapter 3:, etc. At certain times I want to refer only to
the number (e.g. for bleed tabs and whatnot). I accomplished this in an
earlier version of Word by inserting the _styleref_ field for the
heading and selecting the _/n_ tag.

Now that I have Word97, instead of returning a 1 (2, 3, 4, etc.), the
field returns the entire "Chapter 1:" text. Not good for a bleed tab.
I did a little investigating and noticed that my earlier version of Word
used separate fields for text before and after the number and for the
number itself, while in Word97 the entire string is in one field (so I
am starting to suspect that this is the culprit). I tried using some of
the other tags, but so far no luck.

Any of you experience this? Any workarounds? Any hope of me regaining
my sanity?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Jason
mailto:jlemair -at- phx -dot- mcd -dot- mot -dot- com

--All opinions are my own and nobody
else's, unless they want to pay me
a royalty.--

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz