Re: Use of trademark symbol - HELP!

Subject: Re: Use of trademark symbol - HELP!
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:59:00 -0700

Jim -

At NCS, we list all known trademarks on the inside front cover of our
books. We also use the appropriate symbol (TM or R) on the first
occurrence of the product name. But once we started supplying our
documentation in PDF files on our Web site, our corporate lawyers were
concerned that clients wouldn't download/print the front matter and
would miss the notice of copyright/trademark. So we modified our
document style and now print "Copyright C National Computer Systems,
Inc., 1996, 1997 Confidential Information" in a footer on every page of
every book (we use the header for the book and chapter names and page
numbers).

I wonder if the same concern is what's prompting your client's corporate
lawyers to ask for this new style? I think your client's customers will
hate the proposed change as it is definitely distracting. Maybe you can
propose a similar solution.

Kim Cramer
mailto:kcramer -at- ncslink -dot- com
Sr. Information Developer