Re: Indexing using Word

Subject: Re: Indexing using Word
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:48:53 +0800

Ron -

Automarking has its niche uses, but for a back-of-book index for a
user guide, the most you can say is that it's a fast way to produce
a bad index. It might look like an index but it will not be useful.

Unless the material is very complex, you should be able to produce
something adequate in much less than 60 hours. I have some resources
you can borrow if you want to brush up:

- "Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry" -- has a very
good chapter on indexing tips and style
- "Indexing Books" by Nancy Mulvany -- the bible.

. . .or you could have a look at:

American Society of Indexers: http://www.well.com/user/asi
Australian Society of Indexers: http://godzilla.zeta.org.au/~aussi

Phone me (9328-8288) if you want the full spiel.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield
Functional Software Pty Ltd