Re: Skills Needed For Web Design

Subject: Re: Skills Needed For Web Design
From: "Nina L. Panzica" <panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:24:05 -0500

At 09:49 AM 8/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>My new obsession at the moment is designing web pages. I don't get to do
>it on my job, so I've been tooling around at home -- learning HTML and
>experienting with Microsoft Front Page.
>
>Now I want to learn more about the nitty gritty stuff -- Java, CGI
>sripting, etc. Where do I begin?

Well, this response is a little off-topic, but in my opinion a wonderful
place to begin would be the following:

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

This page is more about design aesthetics than the nitty-gritty how to's
but it may prevent a person from going overboard once they do learn to use
the programming tools that give you so more control over your Web site's
appearance. It's also one of the funniest sites I've visited in a long time.

One more suggestion: At this time, if you go to the Manpower Technical site
and send them your resume, they'll give you free access to an online CBT
course that teaches you Java. Here's their URL:

http://training.manpower.com/

Regards,
Nina P.
____

Nina Panzica
Masterpiece Media
(404) 237-7889
Can't reach me at the above number? Try my pager: 404-596-7889
mailto:panin -at- mindspring -dot- com
http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/

Links to other Technical Writers:
http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/writers.htm