Re: GUI Design

Subject: Re: GUI Design
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:25:00 -0700

From: Matthew J Long
> A few of my developer buddies at work are arguing about the best way to
> design a GUI (They are creating forms for an Oracle database). I have seen
> the User Interface Engineering web site which discusses design, but it is
> web-centric. Does anybody know of a resource similar to the UIE web site
> that discusses design cocepts for non-web GUI apps. I want to find hard
> stats if possible (e.g. productivity is increased by 120% by using "this"
> design technique to develop your interface, etc).

I've got a copy of The Windows Interface: An Application Design Guide
from Microsoft. It's a 1992 version, but has probably been updated. At
the end of the first chapter is the following bibliography of source
books:

Chew, Jane Carrasco, and John Whiteside, eds. Empowering People: CHI
'90 Conference Proceedings. New York, NY: ACM Press, 1990.

Helander, Martin, ed. Handbook of Human-Computer Interaction.
Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1988.

IBM Corporation. Common User Access: Advanced Interface Design Guide.
Boca Raton, FL: IBM, 1989

Laurel, Brenda, ed. The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design.
Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1990.

Nielsen, Jacob, ed. Coordinating User Interfaces for Consistency.
Boston: Academic Press, 1989.

Norman, Donald A.. The Design of Everyday Things. New York: Basic
Books, 1988.

Robertson, S.P., G.M. Olson, and J.S. Olson, eds. Reaching Through
Technology: CHI '91 Conference Proceedings. Reading, MA:
Addison-Wesley, 1991.

Shneiderman, Ben. Designing the User Interface: Strategies for
Effective Human-Computer Interaction. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley,
1987.

Tufte, Edward R. Envisioning Information. Cheshire, CT: Graphics
Press, 1990.
----
I haven't read any of these books, but you may want to check them out.