Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 27 Aug 1997 to 28 Aug 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 27 Aug 1997 to 28 Aug 1997
From: Matthew Danda <matt -at- SONYTEL -dot- BE>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:40:50 +0200

Chris:

Couldn't read it all (very long email!), but I had an extremely similar
experience at my first TW job, ages ago (well, more like 3 years ago). I
have come to the following conclusions regarding these experiences:

1. Your first job out of college always sucks.
2. Your first year of pay always sucks.
3. Your first introduction to the corporate world always sucks.

The trick is, now, after the shock-treatment is over, can you adapt to
the new world of corporate life, and learn to succeed rather than
complain?

I say, congratulations, you have passed the first stage of your
professional life. If you apply your hard-won experiences to your next
jobs, and continue to make an honest effort to adapt to corporate social
dynamics (yuck!), you will have an advantage over others who were lucky
enough not to have had rough introductions to the profession. Because
you have seen hard times and made it through.

Just make sure to look forward with optimism, and think of past horrors
as invaluable experience that makes you a better, smarter, and more
effective member of the professional community. Assuming, of course,
that you indeed want to be a professional (these academic versus
professional discussions can become quite tedious when there is work to
do!)

And, Grasshopper, you may refer to me as Obi-Wan, a rag-tag fugitive
fleet on a lonely quest for a shining planet, its five-year mission to
explore...jasdlfjaslfjklfjf This is Red 5, I'm going in!

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Danda