Frame and macros

Subject: Frame and macros
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:19:51 -0400

It's true that the Windows version of FrameMaker lacks macros, and, yes,
that is a nuisance at times. Macro capability is probably the
most-requested feature that users would like to see.

However, that doesn't mean that Frame doesn't have a lot of automated
functions. Variables and markers, for instance, can do many of the tasks
done by simpler macros in Word.

In addition, FrameMaker's book files, master pages, and interfaces for
character and paragraph tags are such great time-savers that I find that
they more or less cancel out the time saved by Word's macros.

I suspect, though, that we're going to see a lot more Word-like features
in FrameMaker over the next couple of releases. Adobe is positioning
Frame directly against Word in the documentation market, so that's
probably inevitable.
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

"If you hear not, hear me never,
If you burn not, freeze forever,
If you hunger not, starve in hell,
If you will not, then you never shall."
- Peter S. Beagle, "The Last Song of Sirit Byar"