Re: Emphasis

Subject: Re: Emphasis
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 18:52:26 GMT

>We use bold in procedures for the following:
>
>* Keys users should press.
I use graphics of the button or key. It's gotten positive responses
everywhere I've used it.

>* Menu options or buttons users should select.
>* Text users should type.
I've found that these two can lead to a busy-looking document, unless
there's lots of text in between the important steps. If my steps are
short -- for example, "1. Click Start. 2. Click (graphic icon)" I
wouldn't use any emphasis. If many of the steps require an additional
paragraph to describe what's going on, then I might consider using
bolding, or possibly a quick-step chart.

>That's the real key - consistency! We also list these
>conventions in the front matter of each manual so users understand what
>they mean.
Out of curiousity (and a search for something better) - Do you call
them "conventions"? My impression is that most people think of
conventions as large gatherings of people. I've been trying to find a
better title for the section where we describe these things. I've seen
"Conventions Used in this Manual," and I'm currently using, "How Items
are Shown in this Manual" (which is admitttedly awful - suggestions
appreciated!) Sometimes I just avoid the issue by putting the
information sans title in the introduction (especially if the
introductory chapter is short).

Thanks,
Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.