Shares and startup companies

Subject: Shares and startup companies
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:51:01 -0400

I'd like to pick your collective brains, if I may.

I've been developing What's This? help for a small application currently
being developed by a startup company. They'll pay me to finish the help, so
that's not an issue; but they've offered me the opportunity to do other work
for them (edit the business plan and marketing materials, write the user
guide and whatever else might come up) and get paid in shares rather than in
cash. The help development has been under a tight schedule, as they're
planning a mid-September release; the subsequent materials will have more
relaxed deadlines.

Has anyone worked for shares rather than for cash? I don't know how to go
about setting it up, let alone collecting! I don't even know what questions
to ask. Should I talk to an accountant? a lawyer?

I should probably add that I'm impressed with the product so far, and I do
think it has a lot of potential. The company seems to be headed in the
right direction -- they've incorporated (in California, I think), and are
seeking venture capital to continue. I can do the future work at my own
speed, pretty much, so it won't interfere with my other contracts.

TIA

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
mailto:winday -at- idirect -dot- com

There's a lot more to gain from his living than wealth.
There's a lesson to learn with devotion:
Be kind to all others, as well as yourself,
Or you'll drift like a boat out on the ocean.

Roving Gypsy Boy (Jimmy Rankin)