Re: Hourly rates for contractors

Subject: Re: Hourly rates for contractors
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:20:26 -0700

My informal review of rates suggests that the hourly number for contracting
approximates the annual number, in thousands, of salaries, at least for (a)
quality people and (b) companies that know the value of technical
communicators.

For example, if companies are paying $40-50,000 for a staff writer with
certain skill sets, then a contractor with similar skill sets should be
able to charge $40-50 per hour.

Unfortunately, highly skilled technical communicators (those who do more
than just quality writing, but also design good user interfaces, set up and
perform usability tests on both product and documentation, understand
programming and development processes, and manage documentation
development) still get neither the recognition nor the compensation they
deserve, compensation that should approach that of the code jockeys.

<Soapbox off>

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"