Re: Academic careers with/vs. tech writing

Subject: Re: Academic careers with/vs. tech writing
From: Sunil Gokhale <sunilg -at- PUNE -dot- TCS -dot- CO -dot- IN>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:49:02 +0530

Hi Harrison,

It surely was like sharing a concern about the jobs in academia - and
whether tech. writing could be a good option or not.

I have completed my Ph.D in Physics, submitted the thesis a month ago -
but then since I had done a lot of creative writing before (for last 6-7
years) - a job in tech. writing was a good option.

For me leaving academia had the following reason - 1. Less jobs, with
smaller pays 2. I did not want to teach 3. Lost the excitement about doing
physics. But then writing surely gave me the much needed satisfaction.

Look for the following things before you really try to switch -
1. Does academics create a ripple - don't leave it - even if it pays less,
since you won't like the atmosphere other than that.
2. Is payment on top priority - choose the career that will give the best
output moneywise - like here in India, academics is not so paying.
3. Do you need job satisfaction - ask what your instinct tells you and
behave accordingly.

Best of Luck

Sunil Gokhale, Technical Communicator
Tata Consultancy Services