Dialogue in user documentation

Subject: Dialogue in user documentation
From: Geri Vaughan <wordweav -at- LOOM -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 10:15:30 +1000

(I have posted this to Copyeditor list as well: apols for any doubling up
to readers.)

I'm doing a paper on user documentation and dialogue.

Are there any techwriter folk out there who have done research/have an
interest in this area?

The sort of thing I am after includes papers/other resources that discuss
the rhetoric of how people interact with computers in the area of user
documentation - theories and empirical research. At the chatty end (which
I've found great, btw) has been Horton. But I'm looking for other resources
that develop these ideas further.

By way of an introduction to the list, I am a mostly computer apps trainer,
part-time document design and editing. Doing a MA - with a focus on user
documentation/online stuff - currently, hence this post. The list
resources are great, thanks!

TIA

Geri