Re: FrameMaker 5.5 and HTML

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 5.5 and HTML
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:52:42 -0400

Hanna wrote:

>Does anyone have actual experience using Frame 5.5 and
>producing documents in HTML format?
>How good is the conversion (i.e., how much manual HTML munging >was required)?

The HTML conversion in Frame 5.5 is based on the HoTaMaLe plug-in.
Enough people have used the plug-in to comment on it, but I doubt
whether anyone has used the final version in Frame 5.5 enough to comment
in any depth.

My own experience of it is limited to a brief demo at an Adobe seminar.
Even the demonstrator, who would have had every chance to optimize the
conversion, found it necessary to make some manual changes (to his
credit, he was honest enough to admit the necessity, and to make it part
of his demo).

However, I think that if you know what is and isn't possible in HTML,
you can design a Frame document that would convert smoothly to HTML. It
would have to be relatively simple HTML, but, then, I don't think the
intention is that people design all their HTML documents in FrameMaker.
Instead, the idea seems to be to single-source a document that's going
to be used in several different formats.

BTW, a useful primer is Ken Jackson and Sonya Keene's "FrameMaker to
HTML."

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

"If you hear not, hear me never,
If you burn not, freeze forever,
If you hunger not, starve in hell,
If you will not, then you never shall."
- Peter S. Beagle, "The Last Song of Sirit Byar"